Energy Efficiency Testing & Certification
Your industry, our focus
Ecodesign, Energy Labelling & Power Consumption
Eurofins Electrical and electronic (E&E) offers accredited energy efficiency testing and certification services enabling manufacturers, retailers and their supply chains to demonstrate product quality and energy efficiency.
Energy efficiency is becoming increasingly important for electrical and electronic consumer and industrial products used in the home and workplace. To reduce energy consumption when in use, on standby and off modes, regional, national and international regulations are in force including the Ecodesign Directive 2009/125/EC, 2012/27/EU, Energy Labelling Directive 2017/1369, and ENERGY STAR® program.
The following accredited energy efficiency testing and certification services to evaluate energy consumption and performance are available from our global network of Eurofins E&E laboratories.
Testing & Certification Services
European EcoDesign Directive 2009/125/EC
The mandatory European Eco-design Directive 2009/125/EC establishes a framework for the setting of eco-design requirements for energy-related products (ErP).
2009/125/EC requires manufacturers to decrease the energy consumption of their products by establishing minimum energy efficiency standards whilst maintaining functionality levels. Energy efficiency saving and functionality tests for ErPs eco-design requirements we offer include, but are not limited to:
- (EC) No. 244/2009; (EC) No. 859/2009, (EU) 2015/1428; non-directional household lamps
- (EU) No. 245/2009, EU No. 347/2010, (EU), 2015/1248; fluorescent lamps without integrated ballast, for high intensity discharge lamps, and for ballasts and luminaires able to operate such lamps
- (EU) No. 1194/2012, (EU) 2015/1428; directional lamps, light emitting diode lamps and related equipment
- (EC) No. 278/2009; external power supplies
- Regulations for domestic hobs, comfort fans, space heaters and vacuum cleaners
EU Regulation (EC) 1275/2008, (EU) No. 801/2013 for power consumption limits
EC 1275/2008 implements Directive 2005/32/EC and Commission Regulation (EU) No. 801/2013 regulating the standby and off modes of electric power consumption of electrical and electronic household and office equipment. Our services include, but are not limited to:
- EN 50564; electrical & electronic household and office equipment, measurement of low power consumption
- IEC 62301; household electrical appliances, measurement of standby mode.
- IEC 62623; desktop and notebook computers, measurement of energy consumption
Energy Labelling Directive (EU) 2017/1369
The European Energy Labelling Directive (EU) 2017/1369 relates to the indication by labelling and standard products information of the consumption of energy and other resources by energy-related products.
(EU) 2017/1369 covers energy labelling requirements for ErPs used in the consumer, commercial and industrial sectors. We offer services for complying with (EU) 2017/1369 and related regulations including, but not limited to:
- (EU) No. 874/2012; energy labelling of electrical lamps and luminaires
- (EU) No. 518/2014; labelling of energy-related products on the internet
- (EU) No. 1060/2010; household refrigerated appliances
- (EU) No. 1061/210; household washing machines
Compliance for the US & Canada
Eurofins MET labs offers energy efficiency market access testing and certification services for products going into the US and Canada including (but not limited to):
- NRcan certification (Canada); SCC accredited certification body for Natural resources Canada
- CEC appliance efficiency program; CEC-approved test and certification laboratory for the US Californian Energy Commission appliance efficiency program
- DOE energy efficiency; testing for compliance with US Department of Energy (DOE) standards
- TEER (Verizon) /TEEER (AT&T)
Global Market Access
In addition to the other global market access services detailed here, we offer energy efficiency, functionality and labelling compliance services for accessing the following countries:
- Australia MEPS (Australia and New Zealand)
- AS/NZS 4474.1, AS/NZS 4474.2; household refrigerated appliances
- AS/NZS 2040.1, AS/NZS 2040.2; electric cloths washing machines
- AS/NZS 5815.1, AS/NZS 5815.2; computer monitors
- AS/NZS 4665.1; external power supplies
- Saudi Arabia
- SASO 2664, SASO 2892, SASO IEC 62552; household refrigerated appliances
- SASO 2885; electric cloths washing machines
- SASO 2870, SASO 2902; lighting products
- South Africa;
- SANS 1691; household refrigerated appliances
- SANS 1695; electric cloths washing machines
Contact your local E&E laboratory to find out how we can help you achieve compliance with the necessary energy efficiency regulations in your choice of global markets.
Code of conducts on energy consumption of broadband equipment
Broadband equipment's high load requirements on electricity networks and electricity consumption have led to the implementation of a voluntary code of conducts for Broadband Equipment. Participants in these codes of conduct include major global players in the broadband equipment market.
The codes of conduct includes maximum limits on annual energy consumption by the equipment. We offer energy consumption testing services for participating manufactures, retailers and their supply chains.
US ENERGY STAR® Program & EU Directive 2012/27/EU
The ENERGY STAR® program follows an Agreement between the European Community (EU) and the Government of the US to co-ordinate energy labelling of office equipment and is detailed in EU Directive 2012/27/EU. US central governments and EU Institutions must purchase office equipment with energy efficiency levels at least equivalent to ENERGY STAR®.
Eurofins MET tests and certifies products to energy efficiency requirements for the EPA's ENERGY STAR® program, Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), California Energy Commission (CEC), EU CE Marking, and Department of Energy (DOE).
Eurofins E&E laboratories also provide services for ENERGY STAR® labelling scheme and EU Directive 2012/27/EU and we are an ENERGY Star® Certification Body.
Product Ranges we Serve
We offer a comprehensive range of energy efficiency testing and certification services for product ranges affected by energy efficiency regulations including, but not limited to:
- Large and small household appliances; dishwashers, washing machines, fridges, freezers, coffee machines
- Multimedia, Audio video products; televisions, set-top boxes, compact audio products
- Information Technology (IT) equipment including personal and business computing, desktop and notebook computers
- Lighting and luminaires, including interior and exterior building lighting
- Office equipment
- Vending machines
- External power supplies including uninterruptable power supplies (UPSs)
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- Large network equipment and data center storage
Contact your local E&E laboratory to access all of our energy efficiency compliance services through a single point of contact.Get a quote