Batteries, Cells and Accumulators
Testing and Certification Services* **
Through our global network of laboratories, Eurofins can help you ensure your cell, battery and accumulators meet the electrical, mechanical, performance, reliability and safety compliance requirements to attain the certifications you need for faster market access.
We offer a single-source solution for battery testing and certification for all battery chemistry types as stand-alone products, and special requirements for implemented batteries.
Our services include testing and certification for compliance with national and international Regulations and Directives including:
- Regulation (EU) No. 1103/2010, pursuant to 2006/66/EC with regards capacity labelling of portable secondary (rechargeable) and automotive batteries and accumulators
- European Directive 2006/66/EC on batteries and accumulators and waste batteries and accumulators, and its amendments in Directive 2013/56/EU for CE marking
- United Nations (UN) 38.3 regulations on the transport of dangerous goods
- European ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU and IECEx scheme special requirements for implemented cells and batteries
- European Low Voltage Directive 2014/35/EU safety requirements for implemented cells and batteries
- Battery testing services for electric vehicles
Cells and batteries
We offer primary and secondary battery testing at both cell and pack level for compliance with the following standards and certifications for lead-acid (VRLA, SLA, etc.), nickel (NiMH, NiC, etc.) and lithium (Li-ion & Li-metal) systems, including:
- IEC/EN 60086-1; primary batteries general requirements
- IEC/EN 60086-2; primary batteries physical and electrical specifications
- IEC/EN 60086-5; safety of primary batteries with aqueous electrolyte
- IEC/EN 62133-1; safety of lithium ion batteries
- IEC/EN 62133-2; secondary cells and batteries safety requirements for portable sealed lithium cells and batteries for portable applications
- IEC/EN 60896-11; stationary lead-acid batteries vented types general requirements and methods of test
- IEC/EN 60896-21; stationary lead-acid batteries valve regulated types methods of test
- IEC/EN 60896-22; stationary lead-acid batteries valve regulated types requirements
- UN/DOT 38.3; transportation testing for lithium batteries
- IEEE 1625; rechargeable batteries for multi-cell mobile computing devices
- IEEE 1725; rechargeable batteries for cellular telephones
- GR-4228-CORE; valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) battery string certification levels based on requirements for safety and performance
- GR-3150-CORE; generic requirements for secondary non-aqueous lithium batteries
- GR–3168–CORE; nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery systems for telecommunications use
- GR-3020-CORE; nickel cadmium batteries in the outside plant
- SAE J2380; vibration testing of electric vehicle batteries
- UL 2054; safety of household and commercial batteries
- UL 1642; safety of lithium batteries
- VZ.TPR.9802; valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) battery qualification test requirements
- SAE J2380; vibration testing of electric vehicle batteries
Electric accumulators (portable cells and batteries)
Specific tests and certifications are available for attaining compliance for secondary cells and batteries for portable applications, including nickel and lithium systems:
- IEC/EN 61960; secondary cells and batteries containing alkaline or other non-acid electrolytes, secondary lithium cells and batteries for portable applications, prismatic and cylindrical lithium secondary cells and batteries made from them
- IEC/EN 62133; Lithium system secondary cells and batteries containing alkaline or other non-acid electrolytes safety requirements for portable sealed secondary lithium cells, and for batteries made from them, for use in portable applications
- IEC/EN 61951-1; Nickel-Cadmium secondary cells and batteries containing alkaline or other non-acid electrolytes, secondary sealed cells and batteries for portable applications
- IEC/EN 61951-2; Nickel-metal hydride secondary cells and batteries containing alkaline or other non acid electrolytes, secondary sealed cells and batteries for portable applications
- IEC/EN 61959; Mechanical test for Secondary cells and batteries containing alkaline or other non-acid electrolytes, for sealed portable secondary cells and batteries
Test criteria evaluated
The test criteria evaluated varies depending on the battery chemistry-type, application and whether the product under test is a primary or secondary cell, battery or accumulator. For example lithium metal and lithium ion batteries require transport specific tests for UN 38.3 compliance and VRLA batteries require GR-4228-Core safety and performance testing for the telecommunication industry.
- Markings and designations
- Discharge test
- Shelf life and charge retention
- Capacity measurement
- Battery cycling test
- Battery life test
- Shock earthquake simulation
- Drop tests (free-fall)
- Safety and Electrical
- Short-circuit tests
- Electrostatic discharge (ESD)
- Operational safety
- Thermal runaway
- Leakage test incorrect installation
- Reverse polarity
- Over charging
- Over discharge
- Forced discharge
- Continuous charging
- Altitude simulation (low pressure)
- Humidity immersion
- Fire propagation & projectile hazard
Special Requirements for Integrated Batteries
Batteries and cells for use in explosive atmospheres
We offer testing and certification of cells and batteries integrated into products used in explosive atmospheres to comply with intrinsic safety “i” requirements under ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU and/or the IECEx scheme.
IEC/EN 60079-11 Explosive atmospheres – Part 11: Equipment protection by intrinsic safety “i” chapter 10.5 Tests for cells and batteries.
Equipment containing batteries and their protection circuits
It is a requirement under the European Low Voltage Directive 2014/35/EU to ensure the safety of batteries and their protection circuits in multimedia, audio/video, information technology equipment. We offer safety testing of these products for compliance with IEC/EN 62368-1 (Annex M).
* Where IEC standards are referred to, national and regional variations are also applicable including, but not limited to; ANSI/AAMI, UL, ISO, CAN/CSA, JIS, EN, ENV, BS EN, DD ENV and BS IEC.
** The regulations and standards above are not a full list of those within our capabilities; please enquire on a case by case basis.
For more information on how we can help you verify the integrity, reliability, performance and safety of your battery, cell and accumulator products, contact your local Eurofins Electrical and Electronics (E&E) laboratory.