Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Testing
What is Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)
Electromagnetic compatibility, known as "EMC", is the ability of Electrical and Electronic (E&E) equipment to operate within its electromagnetic (EM) environment and with other equipment. All E&E devices have the potential to emit electromagnetic field radio frequency (RF) interference. Such interference can affect the normal operation of devices and others within their environment and is therefore subject to measurement and control.
The purpose of EMC is two-fold:
- To ensure that electronic devices operate as intended in their electromagnetic environment without causing Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) with each other (or themselves)
- To ensure that radio communications, particularly for emergency services, are protected
What is EMC testing
The purpose of EMC testing is to:
- Assess the EM Emissions of your product; including both the frequencies and levels of EM energy generated by your product
- Assess the EM Immunity of your product; the ability for your product’s normal operations to withstand (be immune to) EM energy which may occur within its operational environment. Intra-product EM immunity is particularly important in military and aerospace applications
We perform EMC testing to a wide range of EMC standards.
Protecting the RF spectrum
As radio communications frequencies vary in different countries, regional regulations controlling EM emissions and immunity also vary. Several international organizations have joined forces to harmonise global EMC test standards, however compliance with national or international standards is still usually laid down by laws passed by individual countries to account for regional variations, e.g.:
- European CE Marking; meeting the requirements of the Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive 2014/30/EU is an essential part of the CE (Conformité Européenne) Marking process in Europe. Both EM emissions and immunity are typically tested. Other directives such as the Radio Equipment Directive (RED) 2014/53/EU also call up EMC testing requirements
- US FCC approvals; In the US the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) follows its own mandatory EMC protocols and strict approvals process; with some significant differences to the European test requirements
How We Can Help
Eurofins' global network of Electrical and Electronics (E&E) laboratories' experts can provide you with the necessary guidance and accredited EMC testing to identify and meet the EMC / EMI requirements to place your product(s) on your chosen markets.
The end-to end EMC testing and support solutions we offer can help you avoid the significant delays and costs in your product development programmes which can arise due to unexpected electromagnetic interference. Eurofins E&E's capabilities include accredited laboratory-based EMC testing of products, and on-site testing of large equipment and fixed installations.
EMC testing services
- Full compliance and pre-compliance (project re-risking) measurements in the course of product development and modification (troubleshooting)
- EMC Testing for global access certifications, including:
- CE marking; testing for compliance with the European EMC Directive 2014/30/EU and other European directives which call up EMC testing (including, but not limited to, the RED 2014/53/EU and Medical Device Directive [MDD] 93/42/EEC)
- CB-Scheme (IECEE); Global market access
- FCC (Part 15 and 18); US
- CAB; conformity assessment bodies
- SCC and ISED (formerly Industry Canada); Canada
- VCCI; Japan
- KC; Korea
- E-marking (automotive; including as a technical service centre for Federal Motor Transport Authority [KBA] Germany)
- Custom or EV and autonomous vehicle testing
- EMC Emissions (most common tests)
- Radiated emissions
- Conducted emissions
- Harmonic emissions
- EMC Immunity (most common tests)
- Radiated immunity
- Conducted Radio Frequency immunity
- Immunity to Electrostatic Discharge (ESD)
- Immunity to Electrical Fast Transient/Burst (EFTB)
- Surge immunity
- Immunity to Voltage Dips and Interruptions (VDI)
- Immunity to magnetic fields
We also perform some less common EMC tests, such as high intensity radiated field (HIRF) testing for aircraft.
We can perform accredited testing for compliance with a wide range of EMC standards and operate as a Notified Body for the European EMC Directive 2014/30/EU No. 0477 in Italy and Nos. 2635 & 2636 in the UK.
On-site EMC testing
The majority of the EMC testing services we offer are performed in our accredited laboratories. Sometimes however this is not possible or practical due to the type of product or project. We offer a global on-site EMC testing service which is performed by our teams of experienced on-site EMC test engineers, using fully calibrated equipment.
Large equipment in-situ
- Measurement of large or extremely heavy equipment in-situ
- Examples include; substations, switch-gear, large generators, cranes, earth moving machinery, telecommunications systems, rolling stock (rail), railway signalling and track-side equipment, precision grinding machinery
Electromagnetic (EM) site-surveys of fixed installations including workspaces, plant, rail and other built environments. Typically, EM assessments are performed:
- Pre-installation to evaluate the EM environment at the start of a project
- Post-installation EM measurements once work has been completed, in as close a physical location as those taken at pre-installation
Range of EMC related services
- Fully accredited Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) testing
- Pre-compliance EMC testing (project re-risking)
- On-going compliance checks
- Regulatory compliance
- Pre-compliance and full compliance service
- EMC design evaluation
- Post-test failure practical advice
- Training courses; including EMC testing, EMC design and the EMC Directive 2014/30/EU
- Complete EMC project management and control e.g. Rail and military projects
- Expert services for additional expert support e.g. standards testing gap analyses, EMC project plans, testing beyond the standards
RF Equipment for EMC Laboratories
Do you perform your own full or pre-compliance EMC testing? Eurofins York designs, manufacturers and sells globally a range of RF equipment and antennas to check your test chambers and set-up are operating as they should.