NRTL and SCC CB - MET (US, Canada)
Your industry, our focus
What is a NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory)?Eurofins MET labs is an NRTL whose services can be accessed through our global network of Eurofins Electrical and Electronics (E&E) laboratories.
- OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration (US)) created the NRTL program to ensure that certain types of equipment are tested and certified for their safe use in the workplace.
- OSHA’s NRTL regulations were established in 1988.
- MET Laboratories became the first Nationally Recognized Laboratory in 1989.
- An NRTL is a private organization that OSHA recognizes as meeting the legal requirements in 29 CFR 1910.7 to perform testing and certification of products using consensus based test standards and with the following requirements:
- The capability to test and evaluate equipment for conformance with appropriate test standards.
- Adequate controls for the identification of certified products, conducting follow-up inspections of actual production.
- Complete independence from users (i.e., employers subject to the tested equipment requirements) and from any manufacturers or vendors of the certified products.
- Effective procedures for producing its findings and for handling complaints and disputes.
- An organization must have the necessary capability both as a product safety testing laboratory and as a product certification body to receive OSHA recognition as an NRTL
What are NRTL Standards?
OSHA determines which product standards are to be used as they relate to worker safety. OSHA’s standards contain requirements for NRTL product testing and certification for 39 product types. OSHA requires NRTL approval for many kinds of electrical equipment when they are used in the workplace. Test standards determined to be appropriate for use under OSHA’s NRTL Program include ANSI, IEEE, NEMA, CSA, and UL standards. The need for UL approvals for product safety compliance is actually a common misconception in the industry. While UL does coordinate many of the standards development and writing, they are only one of several NRTLs for testing and certification.
Our laboratories have OSHA approval to test and certify to over 200 product standard categories.
We are constantly adding to our accreditation portfolio, therefore please contact us to find out if your product is within our accredited scope.
In addition to testing and certifying products, services we offer include acceptance of:
- testing data from independent organizations, other than NRTLs
- product evaluations from independent organizations, other than NRTLs
- witnessed testing data
- testing data from non-independent organizations
- evaluation data from non-independent organizations (requiring NRTL review prior to marketing)
- product evaluations from organizations that function as part of the International Electrotechnical Commission Certification Body (IEC-CB) Scheme
In addition to NRTL accreditation in the U.S., Eurofins MET labs maintains a wide SCC accreditation for Canada product safety testing and certification.
Please note that we are constantly adding to our accreditation portfolio, therefore contact us to find out if your product is within our accredited scope.
Find out more about electrical safety testing or access NRTL and SCC compliance services by contacting your local Eurofins E&E laboratory.