Molecular Biology & Immunology
Molecular-biological and immunological methods are becoming increasingly important in food and feed analysis. Using the most modern equipment and reliable methods, Eurofins' highly trained staff is able to determine the content and quality of many food and feed matrices, even extremely difficult ones.
PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction): This method amplifies the DNA sequences specific to the analysis being performed e.g. genetic modifications of the DNA or DNA sequences specific to a particular animal species. If the result is positive the products can be made visible under ultraviolet (UV) light.
For determining animal species (even in highly-processed foods) we have several methods at our disposal to solve different problems:
- Screening to determine the animal species by the RFLP (restriction fragment length polymorphism) method
- Specific species determination by standard or real-time PCR
Examples of animals tested for are as follows: buffalo, cat, chicken, deer, dog, duck, goat, goose, hare, horse, ox, pig, rabbit, sheep, springbok, turkey, wild boar.
ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay): this is a method in which a specific antibody is used against a target protein. A colour reaction then reveals the presence of the protein. ELISA is applied for:
- Determination of animal species (raw and cooked products)
- Gluten analysis
- Allergens (e.g. peanuts, hazel nuts, oval bumin, etc.)
Eurofins also offers some special tests such as:
- Basmati rice authenticity testing
- Aberdeen Angus beef authenticity testing
- Beef gender testing
- Meat traceability
For more detailed information please contact your local Eurofins laboratory.