IECEx Scheme Explosive Atmosphere Global Testing & Certifications
International Electrotechnical Commission IEC certification system for explosive atmospheres (IECEx)
The IECEx scheme is an international testing and certification system for equipment to be used in an explosive atmosphere (Ex).
There are two main schemes for “International” Certification of products, services and personal in Explosive Atmospheres (Hazardous Locations and Ex-zones):
- The ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU (as part of CE Marking and Ex Marking)
- IECEx certification system (includes the US and Canada; each of which also have their own in-country schemes)
The IECEx system was developed out of the ATEX scheme and while they have many similarities, the IECEx system has some important differences, including:
- Further-reaching global market access including (but not limited to); Europe, America, Canada, Japan, Australia, China, Russia and India to name but a few, with additional countries signing up to the scheme every year.
- Additional schemes
- United Nations endorsement
How we can help
Eurofins electrical and electronic (E&E) test laboratories offer a fully accredited testing and certification service for the IECEx approval process, covering:
- Accredited testing and qualification
- Certification IECEE/IECEx
- Global market access support and global certifications
Our laboratories in Finland, Italy and Switzerland are IECEx Certification Bodies.
Our network of laboratories also has a number of ATEX Notified Bodies, Eurofins MET labs is an ISO 17065 certification body for NRTL & SCC Marking and we have additional laboratories with 17025 accreditations for Ex testing.
The IECEx certification system offers
- Explosive Atmosphere (Ex) Equipment Certification including unit verification
- Conformity mark license scheme
- Services scheme for Ex equipment repair and overhaul
- Certified Persons scheme for competency to work in the Ex field
Advantages of the IECEx system
- Avoids duplication of testing and certification for multiple markets saving both time and money
- A trusted scheme which industries, regulators, laboratories, Certification Bodies and other Stakeholders have confidence in
- It provides portability of assessment results and certificates
- Additional Ex Services are available, not covered by the ATEX directive 2014/34/EU; including Personnel Certification
- It provides instant access to information, including online database for Certificates checking.
For more information on how we can help you place your electrical and non-electrical Ex Equipment for explosive atmospheres on the market in your chosen combination of countries, please contact your local Eurofins E&E laboratory, or our nearest E&E Ex competence centers in Finland, Italy, Switzerland, China, or the US.