ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU Ex Products & Standards
Your industry, our focus
ATEX Example Products, Tests and Standards
Specific tests are required on equipment and protective systems intended to be used in potentially explosive atmospheres.
The European ATEX directive 2014/34/EU came into force in 2016. This Directive applies to products, as specified below, intended to be used in potentially explosive atmospheres. Products not in conformity with the requirements of the current ATEX Directive CE and Ex Mark are forbidden to be placed into the market.
Ex Product examples
Tests performed on the following range of products for compliance with the ATEX Directive:
- Oil immersed devices "o"
- Pressurised enclosures "p"
- Powder filling enclosures "q"
- Flameproof enclosures "d"
- Electrical devices with "n" protection mode (cat. 3)
- Intrinsic safety equipment "i"
- Encapsulated equipment "m"
- Tight dust enclosures "t"
- Flow restricted enclosures "fr"
- Equipment protected by constructional safety "c"
- Equipment protected by liquid immersion "k"
- Explosion venting devices
- Flame arresters
- Electrostatic spray guns
- Endothermic engines
- Fork lift trucks
- Electrical and mechanical assemblies
- Dust explosive behaviour
- Impact and drop tests
- Tests for degrees of protection (IP)
- Temperature measurement
- Thermal endurance to heat and cold for material
- Resistance to light
- Thermal shock test
- Small components ignition tests
- Torque tests for bushings
- Earth continuity
- Surface resistance test of non metallic parts of enclosures
- Charging test and measurement of capacitance of non metallic parts of enclosures-
- Tests on cables and cable glands
- Pressure tests for "d", "o", "p", "q" modes of protection
- Explosion tests for flameproof enclosures "d", vents and flame arresters
- Spark-tests for intrinsic safety devices "i"
- Comparative tracking index assessment for insulating
- Tests on intrinsically safe battery pack
- Dielectric strength test for "q", "m", "n", "e", "i" types of protection
- Explosion and/or shunt tests for electrostatic spraying guns for liquid and powder coatings
ATEX standards we are accredited for
- IEC / EN 60079-0: Equipment - General requirements
- IEC / EN 60079-1: Equipment protection by flameproof enclosures 'd‘
- IEC / EN 60079-2: Equipment protection by pressurised enclosures 'p‘
- IEC / EN 60079-5: Equipment protection by powder filling 'q‘
- IEC / EN 60079-6: Equipment protection by liquid immersion “o”
- IEC / EN 60079-7: Equipment protection by increased safety 'e‘
- IEC / EN 60079-11: Equipment protection by intrinsic safety 'i‘
- IEC / EN 60079-13: Equipment protection by pressurized room “p”
- IEC / EN 60079-15: Equipment protection by type of protection 'n‘
- IEC / EN 60079-18: Equipment protection by encapsulation “m”
- IEC / EN 60079-25: Intrinsically safe electrical systems
- IEC / EN 60079-26: Equipment with equipment protection level (EPL) Ga
- IEC / EN 60079-28: Protection of equipment and transmission systems using optical radiation
- IEC / EN 60079-30-1: Electrical resistance trace heating
- IEC / EN 60079-31: Equipment dust ignition protection by enclosure 't‘
- IEC / EN 60079-35-1: Cap lights for use in mines susceptible to firedamp; general requirements
- ISO 80079-36: Non-electrical equipment - Basic method and requirements
- IEC TS 60079-46: Equipment assemblies
- ISO 80079-37: Non-electrical type of protection "c", "b", "k“
- ISO 16852: Flame arresters
- EN 14986: Design of fans working in potentially explosive atmospheres
- EN 1755: Fork lift trucks
- EN 1834-1/2/3: Combustion engines
- EN 50303 Group I: Category M1 equipment intended to remain functional in atmospheres endangered by firedamp and/or coal dust
- EN 50050-1/2/3: Electrostatic hand-held spraying equipment
- EN ISO / IEC 80079-34: Explosive atmospheres Part 34; application of quality systems for equipment manufacture
For more information, contact your nearest Eurofins ATEX competence center in Italy, Switzerland, Finland, the UK, China or the US.Get a quote