ATEX Testing & Certification
Your industry, our focus
European ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU
Electrical and non-electrical equipment for use in workplaces potentially at risk for explosive atmospheres must ensure a level of safety appropriate to the area of installation.
In Europe this is enforced through the ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU. In addition to CE Marking, equipment used in explosive atmospheres must also gain the Ex Mark which requires in most cases accredited testing, Notified Body approvals.
Products included in the scope of the ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU include:
- Equipment and Protective Systems which may be used in potentially explosive atmospheres
- Safety devices, controlling devices and regulating devices intended for use outside potentially explosive atmospheres but which are required for or contribute to the safe functioning of equipment and protective systems, with respect to the risks of explosion
- Components defined as any item essential to the safe functioning of equipment and protective systems but with no autonomous function
There are three steps to being able to gain ATEX certification from an ATEX Notified Body:
- Preparation of a risk analysis, technical documentation, definition of intended use, technical calculations, drawings, product description
- Compliance with one or several type of protections or product standards
- Compliance with the ATEX directive for products used in explosive atmosphere
How we can help
The design requirements for products used in an explosive atmosphere differ significantly from those employed in a non-explosive atmosphere. Furthermore, there are key design differences depending on which type of explosive atmosphere they may be used in. It is therefore imperative to understand the what the design implications are at the start of the product design process.
We can help you at each step of the ATEX compliance process to ensure that the correct assumptions and decisions have been made, test your products, provide you with the appropriate certifications, and perform a quality assessment of your place of manufacturing or supplier.
Eurofins global network of E&E and Industrial laboratories has five Notified Bodies under the ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU; No. 0477 in Italy, No.0537 in Finland and No. 1258 in Switzerland, No. 2503 in the UK and No. 2776 in the Netherlands.
Our laboratories offer ATEX testing and certification services for the following types of products and protection methods:
- Equipment protected by liquid immersion ”k”
- Equipment protected by control of ignition sources ”b”
- Flow restricted enclosures “fr”
- Equipment protected by constructional safety “c”
- Flameproof enclosures “d”
- Dust protection by enclosure “t”
- Intrinsic safety equipment “i”
- Increased safety equipment “e”
- Encapsulated equipment “m”
- Liquid immersed equipment “o”
- Pressurised enclosures “p”
- Powder filling equipment “q”
- Equipment with type of protection "n"
To find out more about product examples, tests and standards, understand the ATEX scenario.
ATEX certification paths
There are a number of certifications paths depending on the type of product, intended use and explosive environment(s) it will go into. Our ATEX Experts can guide you through the appropriate path.
ATEX markings explained
To find out more contact your local E&E or Industrial laboratory, or view our downloadable Hazardous Locations poster.Get a quote