JavaScript is disabled. Please enable to continue!
Mobile search icon
Consumer Product Testing >> Information >> Ecolabels, Quality Labels

Ecolabels, Quality Labels, and VOC emissions

Sidebar Image

Quality labels tell you about product performance, and environmental labels (ecolabels) tell you that the product has lower impact on nature or man compared to other products. Most of these labels are private, and all such labels are voluntary.

Some countries established compulsory evaluation of certain properties, such as European CE marking, German GS marking.

VOC emissions from construction products are relevant for indoor air quality and are regulated in several countries, such as in California, and in Europe. More regulation is available for formaldehyde, e.g. the European E1 classification and Californian CARB regulation.

Ecolabels go beyond that and characterize the "better" products in terms of their ambitions. There is a special webpage on comparison between different low VOC emissions programs and ecolabels. ISO standards specify the operation of ecolabels: ISO 14021, 14024, 14025.

List of some ecolabels for low emitting products

Eurofins tests are accepted for many ecolabels.

  • Indoor Air Comfort - Eurofins certified products
  • EMICODE (Adhesives and more, Germany/Europe)
  • BIFMA (Sustainable furniture, USA)
  • Blue Angel (Germany)
  • Californian CDPH Standard Practice, also called Section 1350, often used for LEED IEQ specifications
  • CertiPUR and CertiPUR US (labeling PU foam for furniture industry)
  • Cradle-to-Cradle
  • DIM / DICL (Construction products, Denmark)
  • FEMB (Sustainable furniture, Europa)
  • FloorScore (resilient floorings, USA)
  • European "Flower" ecolabel
  • Green Label by CRI (Carpets, adhesives, cleaners, USA)
  • Green Tag label (Australia, New Zealand, South Africa)
  • GUT (Carpets, Germany/Europe)
  • Indoor Advantage by SCS (USA)
  • M1 (Construction products, Finland)
  • Natureplus (Sustainable construction products, Germany/Europe)
  • Nordic Swan (Scandinavia)
  • SINTEF (constructopn products, Norway)
  • Swedish "byggvarudeklaration" (Construction products, Sweden)
  • Umweltzeichen (Austria)

Eurofins VOC related services

Eurofins offers documentation of compliance with the specifications on emissions of VOC and aldehydes by independent and ISO 17025 accredited testing, and if relevant also with external surveillance (inspections, re-testing), and certification, e.g. in combination with the Eurofins operated certification programme Indoor Air Comfort - certified products.

Eurofins operates both an accredited and notified test house and an approved ÜZ certification body. VOC emissions testing for any program or regulation can be easily combined with tests for other regulations or labels such as Belgian VOC regulationFrench VOC regulationsGerman VOC regulationsEMICODE, German Blue Angel, Finnish M1 and US tests. Such combinations allow to save money compared with separate testing for each of these purposes. One example is the Eurofins Pan-European test package.

Certification and testing services for Ü markCE mark and the Eurofins certification program Indoor Air Comfort - certified products can be ordered in parallel for use on different market segments - there will be significant costs saving when compared to ordering these services separately.

Contact to surveillance and testing services

  • Surveillance and Certification body:
    (also DIBt approved surveillance and certification body)

Eurofins Consumer Product Testing GmbH
Am Neuländer Gewerbepark 4
21079 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 40 492 94 6815

  • Testing lab:
    (also DIBt approved testing body, and accredited as well as notified testing lab)
Eurofins Product Testing A/S
Smedeskovvej 38, 8464 Galten, Denmark
Phone: +45 7022 4276

Contact to VOC Testing Laboratories

Please see here contact information of Eurofins VOC testing laboratories in Europe, China and Japan: