Fish Species Determination
Eurofins is one of the world's leading laboratory for fish and shellfish species determination. Our DNA Competence Centre in Ebersberg, Germany offers the Gold Standard for seafood species determination. The exact species can be identified in fresh and processed fish and even in fish products such as pizza or ready meals without prior knowledge of the possible species present.
In addition, testing of exotic species or shellfish is available.
How do we determine which fish species are contained in the sample?
DNA Sequencing of mtDNA
After isolating the DNA we analyse 2 or more sequence sections of the mitochondrial genome (mtDNA). Each cell contains up to 10.000 copies of the mtDNA. So, mtDNA can be found in large quantities and has proved to be rather stable against degradation.
Our sequencing results are then compared with the entries in the NCBI data base (the world's most extensive sequence database with mtDNA sequences of thousands of species). By this method, the fish species present can be identified.
What species can be detected
All commonly consumed seafood and exotic species can be determined. That includes freshwater fish (Trout, Salmon, Carp), farmed fish (e.g.: commonly Trout, Salmon, Tilapia) and shellfish such as crab, lobster, oysters.
These types of seafood can be tested:
Advantages of Eurofins' species determination method
- No initial knowledge of the species possibly contained in the sample is necessary
- By using an universal approach all consumed fish/ seafood species can be determined
- Gold Standard Method of mtDNA sequencing for species determination
- Designated test to discriminate closely related fish species
- Designated test for canned fish
Advantages of the Eurofins DNA Competence Centre
- Highly experienced lab staff
- DIN ISO 17025 accredited
- Handling of large sample quantities per day is possible
- Very fast turnaround time of 2-3 working days available
Available Fish Species tests
- Fresh or frozen fish
- Canned fish
- Seafood and exotic fish
For more information on our fish species determination, please download and read our flyer.
Contact in France
Contacts in Germany
|Dr. Markus Zell||MarkusZell@eurofins.de|
|Dr. Katrin Juling||SpeciesDeterminationEbersberg@eurofins.com|
Contact in UK
Contact in USA
|Find a laboratory contact