M1 Finnish label
M1 is the short version name of the Finnish voluntary emission classification of building materials. M1 is the name of the lowest emission class of that system.
The emission classification of construction products for interior use is based on an emission chamber test after 28 days. Chemical testing parameters are TVOC, 1A and 1B carcinogens (EU classification), formaldehyde, ammonia, and an odour acceptability test (modified ISO 16000-28 test, or CLIMPAC test; odour shall be neutral (or better acceptable) under the test conditions.
Please see also for further information:
M1 is administered by RTS. For more details, please visit RTS website or any of these links:
- Classification critera
- Procedure for application
- Classification fees
- Testing method (REVISED - valid from 22.01.2015)
- Approved testing labs for M1 labeling (Eurofins Product Testing A/S is one of the approved labs)
- Office furniture is included since 2015.
It is stated that tests made for other emission classification systems than M1 will be accepted, if the tests are performed by an M1 approved lab, and following the M1 testing methodology. But at the same time, some changes of the test method made in 2015 increased the differences from other low VOC specifications, especially for some paints and for adhesives, but also for doors, windows, and "fixtures" (mounted furniture e.g. in built-in kitchen).
Eurofins Product Testing A/S is working on combining M1 tests with other tests, such that manufacturers can order one single combined test and receive test data that can serve all low VOC emissions specification across whole Europe, if not even globally. The new changes in the M1 test method require a revision of this approach if M1 shall be included in such a global VOC emissions test.
Combine several tests to save costs
Eurofins offers documentation of compliance with above specifications on emissions of VOC, aldehydes, ammonia and odour by independent testing.
Costs can be saved if a M1 test is combined with other VOC emissions testing. But please note that
- RTS requires that the whole M1 test is performed with the same sample and at the same time, for avoiding any error by ageing of sample; you cannot first perform VOC and formaldehyde tests for other purposes and then later decide to add the tests that you are missing for M1 (ammonia and odour) without repeating also the VOC and formaldehyde testing.
- RTS requires that they can approve the selection of representative or worst-case sample to cover a whole group of products in advance; this decision by Finnish RTS can be different from the decision by others on the same subject (e.g. German DIBt or Blue Angel).
- RTS has different specifications for testing some products than other regulations or labels do.
This concerns mainly some coatings, adhesives, doors, windows, fixtures (mounted furniture).
Eurofins VOC related services
Eurofins offers documentation of compliance with the specifications on emissions of VOC and aldehydes by independent and ISO 17025 accredited testing, and if relevant also with external surveillance (inspections, re-testing), and certification, e.g. in combination with the Eurofins operated certification programme Indoor Air Comfort - certified products.
Eurofins operates both an accredited and notified test house and an approved ÜZ certification body. VOC emissions testing for any program or regulation can be easily combined with tests for other regulations or labels such as Belgian VOC regulation, French VOC regulations, German VOC regulations, EMICODE, German Blue Angel, Finnish M1 and US tests. Such combinations allow to save money compared with separate testing for each of these purposes. One example is the Eurofins Pan-European test package.
Certification and testing services for Ü mark, CE mark and the Eurofins certification program Indoor Air Comfort - certified products can be ordered in parallel for use on different market segments - there will be significant costs saving when compared to ordering these services separately.
Contact to VOC Testing Laboratories
Please see here contact information of Eurofins VOC testing laboratories in Europe, China and Japan: