How Indoor Air Comfort certification works
- After an initial characterisation test and first factory inspection, an external surveillance system will identify any changes in the promised product properties, allowing the manufacturer to take corrective action.
- An existing quality assurance system in the production will allow sufficiently constant product emissions properties in terms of VOC emissions only with VOC related amendments.
- Continuous certification will require external on-site inspection of the quality documentation and manufacturing site, along with re-testing in regular intervals.
- An easily visible certification mark allows the user to assume the correctness of the manufacturer's statement without further investigations.
Organization of IAC certification
- Selection of a representative sample for testing, based on an allocation of similar products into groups.
- Test of a representative sample in a test chamber (testing details may differ by product group, see the IAC specifications).
- Reporting of test results (specifications and limits may differ by product group).
- Contract between manufacturer and certification body to ensure continuous production of very low emitting products by external surveillance.
- If a contracts exist already for DIBT Ü mark, then these can be combined with the IAC contracts to cover both in one inspection program.
- Initial inspection of relevant manufacturing site(s) with an inspection report including the relevant documentation.
- This will result in agreements on actions for maintaining low VOC emissions from labelled products, e.g. on details of production, exclusion of certain raw materials, factory production control, quality documentation.
- If such agreements exist already for DIBT Ü mark then these will be taken over in very most cases.
- IAC Certificate is granted if all data support, after an evaluation of test and inspection reports.
- Periodic external inspections by Eurofins incl. a survey of emission relevant elements of the routine quality documentation.
- Periodic re-testing of samples taken during the inspections to ensure continuous reliability of claims on low emissions.
- Continuous monitoring and improvement of specifications, testing and inspection methodology.
More details (regulations, limit values) are in the IAC specification.
Other certification and labeling programs
- Certificates may be important to show compliance of a product with purchase specifications, or with sustainable or "green" building projects and certifications. A certified product can apply for other labels on basis of the test report as regards emissions into indoor air. Please click here for a list of some of the labels for which Eurofins test reports are accepted.
- Eurofins Product Testing A/S was notified to the EU Commission as notified testing lab for CEN/TS 16516 - the harmonized European standard for testing VOC emissions of construction products that converts into EN 16516 in 2017.
- Eurofins is approved certification body ("ÜZ-Stelle") for the German Ü mark. Eurofins may offer both - ÜZ certification for the Ü mark, and IAC certification. Inspections then can be performed in parallel for both purposes to save time and costs.
- Cooperation also is possible for the US based Indoor Advantage and FloorScore certification programs operated by Scientific Certification Systems SCS.
- Indoor Air Comfort covers only European specifications, it does not cover the USA. For that purpose, we recommend to use the Indoor Advantage program, operated by Scientific Certification Systems SCS in Emeryville, California.
- Indoor Air Comfort GOLD label directly qualifies for the VOC emissions criteria of LEED version 4 (except furniture). This can be read from a table available at the webpages of US Green Building Council.
- Indoor Air Comfort GOLD label directly qualifies for the VOC emissions criteria of BREEAM. This can be read from a table of acknowledged programs.
- Indoor Air Comfort program cooperates with the EMICODE. Products that could be EMICODE labeled can only be labeled with Indoor Air Comfort, or with Indoor Air Comfort GOLD, if they already carry an EMICODE label as well.
Eurofins VOC related services
Eurofins offers documentation of compliance with the specifications on emissions of VOC and aldehydes by independent and ISO 17025 accredited testing, and if relevant also with external surveillance (inspections, re-testing), and certification, e.g. in combination with the Eurofins operated certification programme Indoor Air Comfort - certified products.
Eurofins operates both an accredited and notified test house and an approved ÜZ certification body. VOC emissions testing for any program or regulation can be easily combined with tests for other regulations or labels such as Belgian VOC regulation, French VOC regulations, German VOC regulations, EMICODE, German Blue Angel, Finnish M1 and US tests. Such combinations allow to save money compared with separate testing for each of these purposes. One example is the Eurofins Pan-European test package.
Certification and testing services for Ü mark, CE mark and the Eurofins certification program Indoor Air Comfort - certified products can be ordered in parallel for use on different market segments - there will be significant costs saving when compared to ordering these services separately.
Contact to surveillance and testing services
- Surveillance and Certification body:
(also DIBt approved surveillance and certification body)
Eurofins Consumer Product Testing GmbH
Am Neuländer Gewerbepark 4
21079 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 40 492 94 6815
- Testing lab:
(also DIBt approved testing body, and accredited as well as notified testing lab)
Smedeskovvej 38, 8464 Galten, Denmark
Phone: +45 7022 4276
Contact to VOC Testing Laboratories
Please see here contact information of Eurofins VOC testing laboratories in Europe, China and Japan: