GS Mark and BG "Bauart Geprüft"
Your industry, our focus
The Geprüfte Sicherheit (GS) Mark
The GS Mark, introduced in 1977, is a leading safety mark. It is based on the "German Equipment Safety Law" (Geräte und Produktsicherheitsgesetz; GPSG) and indicates that the product was tested and certified for safety by an accredited, independent institute such as Eurofins.
The GS Mark is a type-approval mark, connected with periodic factory inspections observing the production quality. To maintain the GS mark, the law demands frequent checks (usually annually) to ensure that the manufacturer is able to maintain all the specifications of the tested product in his mass production. During this factory inspection, Eurofins evaluates the implementation of the quality system, the production environment, and production related testing and measurement equipment.
The GS mark, although not required by law, makes a difference in cases where a product's malfunction leads to an accident for which its manufacturer could be held responsible under Germany's (and the EU's) strict product liability laws. It is also a convincing marketing statement, creating customer confidence and purchasing motivation. Manufacturers often find it convenient and economical to obtain the GS-mark together with the legally required CE Marking.
Eurofins offers a GS-Mark Testing and Certification service for a wide range of products including, but not limited to:
- Electrical household appliances (Electric heating devices used in the household, Household devices, Kitchen devices)
- Electric heaters
- Personal care appliance
- Measurement, test and sampling devices outside of the ATEX-D
- Measurement devices for electrical parameter
- Electric generators, Current transformer, Current storage devices
- Consumer electronics
- Hand-operated tools (Electric tools, Heating tools)
- IT and office equipment (Office devices, Electronic data processing devices)
Basic GS mark requirements:
- User manual in German language, available for each model listed on the GS license
- Name and address of manufacturer or representative or importer provided on product, package, warranty card or user manual
- Safety or EMC information provided as test reports, declaration, or statement in user manual
- Ergonomic requirements provided in German user manual
- WEEE Symbol printed visibly, legibly, indelibly
- RoHS declaration of compliance
- PAH requirements provided as test reports or declaration or statement in user manual
GS mark licenses are valid for a maximum of 5 years from the issue date of the first license sheet.
Eurofins Certification Marks
Eurofins issues the following Certification Marks for electrotechnical products (household appliances, luminaries, laboratory equipment, office appliances etc.) in accordance with EN safety standards through the GS Mark and Bauart Geprüft (BG) Mark:
|Eurofins Product Service BG-Mark ("Bauart Geprüft") for electrical and electronic equipment and components, technical work equipment and ready-to-use commodities.|
|Eurofins Product Service GS-Mark for technical work equipment and ready-to-use commodities according to the GPSG (German Equipment and Product Safety act)|
Initial factory inspection and annual follow up inspections are required for the applicant to acquire and maintain the validity of Eurofins Safety certificates.
For more information on our Testing & Certification GS Mark and BG Mark services please contact your local Eurofins Electrical and Electronics (E&E) laboratory.