Vice President, EAG Laboratories Agrosciences
With over 30 years’ experience in the crop protection industry, Eurofins Agroscience Services offers clients outstanding technical knowledge and project management skills.
We are experts in managing global field studies, worker exposure studies, ecotoxicology, analytical services, physico-chemical property testing, environmental fate laboratory and field studies. We provide multidisciplinary expertise, well-thought out study design, reliable data, and expert interpretation to support the full lifecycle of biological and chemical product development. Through knowledge transfer initiatives between the Group’s global centres of expertise, we help our clients innovate and improve products, ensure quality and safety, and comply with evolving global regulations.
Additionally, Eurofins Agroscience Services has unique expertise to provide analytical, regulatory and field support to plant breeders, agrochemical, biopesticide, biocide and fine chemical manufacturers.
EAG Laboratories is Eurofins Agroscience Services’ U.S. laboratory network and the recognized world leader in higher-tier aquatic, avian, pollinator and terrestrial ecotoxicology and environmental fate testing.
Eurofins Agroscience Services is part of the Eurofins Scientific network of businesses, the world leader in food and pharmaceutical products testing, in the field of environmental laboratory services and a global market leader in Agroscience, genomics, discovery pharmacology and central laboratory services.
Eurofins Agroscience Services is seeking a VP for EAG Laboratories Agrosciences reporting to the CEO, Agrosciences Services. This role may be located in Easton, MD; Columbia MO; or Hercules, CA
The VP is responsible for EAG Laboratories Agrosciences division in the U.S. (4 laboratory sites, 3 field stations and ~400 employees) and LATAM (1 laboratory site, 3 field stations and ~50 employees). Will oversee all operations; provide operational and technical leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the division in the US and LATAM have the proper operational structure, administrative and reporting procedures and people systems to effectively grow the organization and ensure financial strength and operating efficiency. As a member of the Eurofins Agroscience Senior Management Team, this person will develop corporate and operational strategies and facilitate these efforts across the US and LATAM.
- Develop and review the business strategy and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes and personnel to accommodate the growth (organically and through M&A) and achieve performance objectives
- Oversee the creation and review of business plans and objectives for the division and individual lab and field units
- Liaise with Business Unit Managers to understand all necessary aspects and need of operational development and to ensure they are fully informed of operational objectives, purposes and achievements
- In association with the Financial Controller, prepare annual budgets for the division and individual lab and field units with the relevant line managers. Monitor workload and production of reports. Manage staffing levels, remuneration packages and supervise cost control within the individual units
- Take charge of Business Development in alignment with Head of Sales. Supervise the execution of Sales & Marketing related action plans including setting the strategic direction for key accounts
- Monitor, forecast and control volumes of work relative to available resource to achieve established financial and quality objectives
- Provide guidance and leadership on issues of quality control and improvement
- Identify short and long-term business opportunities within the lab operations
- Motivate and lead a high-performance management team; mentor direct reports to cultivate skills and improve relationships between each lab and the other group operational functions. Where required, supervise the development / implementation of relevant employment policies and procedures
- Ensure activities meet and integrate with organizational requirements for quality management, health and safety, legal compliance, environmental policies and general duty of care
To perform successfully, the VP, Agrosciences will demonstrate the following competencies:
Managing People – Excellent people manager, collaborative work style, and commitment to get the job done;
Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism and inspires respect and trust
Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals while demonstrating persistence and overcoming obstacles
Change Management – Develops workable plans and communicates changes effectively
Delegation – Gives authority to work independently while setting expectations and require accountability
Customer Service – Responds and manages customer needs; solicits customer feedback
Judgment – Exhibits sound, accurate and timely judgment
Technical Skills – Pursues training and development; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills and share expertise
Teamwork – Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views and provides and welcomes feedback, puts success of team above own interests
Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity, meets challenges with resourcefulness;
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve goals through understanding the organization’s strengths & weakness as well as markets and competition
Speaks, presents and writes clearly, accurately and effectively
12 years+ of professional experience in laboratory operations in life sciences, crop protection, CRO, or scientific testing services
5+ years of relevant multiple site operational management experience with P&L accountability
Demonstrated experience in developing and executing successful commercialization strategies
Successful track record of building, training and coaching operations and commercial teams
A combination of experience in small and large companies is ideal
Experience in a matrixed organization a plus
Undergraduate degree in biology, chemistry or relevant scientific discipline. MBA or master’s degree in science a plus