Attracting the Best
We’re proud of our decentralised and non-bureaucratic structure, and the leaders in our business are empowered to act entrepreneurially, with the freedom to make their own decisions. To ensure that all of our facilities follow the Eurofins ethos and values, we have developed a detailed Leadership Charter which outlines exactly what behaviours and competencies we expect from each and every leader:
Our long-term aspiration
To be the Global Leader in Testing for Life.
Why we are here - the cause/purpose of our business
To contribute to a safer and healthier world by providing our customers with innovative and high quality laboratory and advisory services whilst creating opportunities for our employees and generating sustainable shareholder value.
What we stand for/what is important for us
Competence and Team Spirit
EUROFINS LEADERSHIP CHARTER
Group Leadership Philosophy
(How the Group Operating Council leads/organises Eurofins)
Eurofins is a decentralised non-bureaucratic fast moving group of entrepreneur led businesses. Group Operating Council members/Division leaders behave as shareholders towards the Presidents of Eurofins businesses and:
- Set the framework in which leaders of Group companies can succeed:
- Put businesses together that address one homogenous market (local or global depending on clients‘ decision making level) and that are large enough to be efficient under one leader; an empowered and accountable President/Managing Director who sets the strategy for his/her business along with an ambitious vision.
- Get out of the way
- Provide support as required
- Select, develop & retain the best leaders
- Encourage a value-creation-based meritocracy
- Reward progress in Economic Profit (EP) growth by sharing value creation with outstanding leaders.
- Allocate capital according to EP/ROCE growth
- Rules of the game include full transparency & common financial systems/policies
Behaviour and competencies expected from Eurofins leaders
Define & communicate a clear vision and strategy
- Develop an exciting customer centric vision of the future - think big.
- Develop strategies to facilitate accomplishment of the vision.
- Use various means of communication to ensure people know the vision & strategy.
- Hold team discussions to check and improve the understanding of the vision & strategy.
Set ambitious goals based on strategy & vision
- Set up action plans with clear-cut distribution of responsibilities.
- Take obstacles away so that people can implement the strategy.
- Set goals that are consistent with the vision & strategy. (people know how they can contribute at the operational level)
- Keep goals simple, focus, always maintain a consistent course.
- CUSTOMER OBSESSION
Be a trusted and reliable partner to their customers
- Work with passion to exceed customer expectations and earn their trust.
- Systematically solicit feedback and strive to continuously improve the customer's experience.
- Encourage their teams to share knowledge with customers and help them achieve their goals.
- HIRE THE BEST
Attract, develop and retain star performers
- Deploy enormous energy and time to find and hire the best.
- Raise the performance bar with every hire and promotion.
- Recognise exceptional talent and give them roles with true team leadership.
- Make sure that high performers enjoy and contribute to their best.
Inspire passion to achieve excellent performance
- Demonstrate a strong drive for high quality output.
- Set the highest standards and always deliver more than what is required.
- Create positive tension to get the most out of people.
- Always expect and recognise high performance.
Empower & motivate their teams
- Create or influence an environment in which people perform, grow, contribute and enjoy.
- Show trust in people.
- Care about people’s motivations.
- Allow people to implement their own ideas.
- Challenge people in constructive ways.
Ensure strategies are implemented
- Monitor progress on critical actions and metrics/KPIs. Quickly become hands-on if things derail.
- Implement decisions fast and effectively.
- Stay connected to details and dive deep in the business when needed. No task is below them.
- RESULTS & OWNERSHIP
Deliver profitable & sustainable growth
- Relentlessly explore ways to improve existing business returns.
- Provide financial support for high-impact ideas.
- Maintain a balanced view between bottom line short-term goals and innovative, long-term growth.
- Be very cost conscious. Spend the Company’s resources frugally like their own.
Encourage pro-activity and initiative
- Show strong bias for action.
- Are metrics-based but prepared to decide without exhaustive analysis – many decisions are reversible.
- Know that speed of action matters.
- Value intuition and calculated risk-taking.
- BE A ROLE MODEL
Lead by example and earn trust
- Demonstrate a strong drive for excellent output.
- Stay focused, keep it simple and consistent.
- Listen attentively, speak candidly and treat others respectfully.
- Be clear on expectations, direction and requirements.
- Walk the talk, show commitment.
- Show integrity and credibility – be tenacious.
- Be frugal. Accomplish more with less.
- Have backbone. Disagree and challenge when not convinced but once a final decision is taken, commit fully.
- INITIATE CHANGE
Initiate and drive change in an uncertain future
- Always question the status quo (Can we do better? Is there another way?).
- Spot opportunities very quickly.
- Come up with alternatives, creative solutions to unmet needs, problems and demands.
- Form a culture that supports change and innovation.
Enable/promote the building of an internal network to optimise business opportunities
- Act on behalf of the whole Company beyond just their own team.
- Constantly seek to pull in high potential people from outside the team and facilitate/promote their best team members throughout the Group.
- Encourage cross-functional, cross-business team work.