Indoor Air Comfort - pan-European product certification
Eurofins "Indoor Air Comfort" (IAC) product certification is an innovative tool to show compliance with low VOC emissions criteria of the most relevant European specifications on two levels:
Standard level "Indoor Air Comfort - certified product" shows compliance of product emissions with the criteria of all legal specifications issued by authorities in the European Union.
Higher level "Indoor Air Comfort GOLD - certified product" shows compliance of product emissions with the criteria of many of the voluntary specifications issued by most relevant ecolabels and similar specifications in the EU - making certified products those with the best-in-class contribution to indoor air quality.
More details are in the IAC specification. Use of this product certification program includes a high level of credibility of any statement on low emissions, much higher than just spot testing, as it includes quality control and surveillance of the production. Following the rules of this program allows to show this quality level by applying the appropriate label to the certified products and to related technical and marketing documents.
LEED version 4 accepts Indoor Air Comfort GOLD certificates as direct proof of compliance with its VOC emissions criteria.
BREEAM UK and BREEAM International accept both Indoor Air Comfort and Indoor Air Comfort GOLD certificates as direct proof of compliance with its VOC emissions criteria, so far such criteria exist.
The specifications on VOC emissions of these programs are included in the certification:
- Indoor Air Comfort:
- Belgian regulation
- French regulation, A class (or A+ class for Indoor Air Comfort GOLD)
- German regulation, AgBB
- Upcoming Lithuanian regulation
- Planned Swedish regulation
- Italian regulation on GPP (Green Public Procurement)
- E1 classification
- Indoor Air Comfort GOLD, on top of the above:
- GUT (except odour testing)
- Several EU ecolabel criteria
- Several Blue Angel criteria
- Several Austrian ecolabel criteria
- LEED outside North America
- FEMB standard for sustainable office furniture
- BREEAM before 2016 only partly - but see above remark on BREEAM aknowledgement
- M1 (except odour testing and ammonia testing)
- Not included:
- US programs such as CDPH, BIFMA, Cradle-to-cradle, Greenguard
- Danish Indoor Air Climate label
- Any odour and ammonia tests
- But the tests necessary for the above can be supplemented to an Indoor Air Comfort test, saving significant costs when compared with separate testing
The Eurofins "Indoor Air Comfort" certificate and label may give market advantages - especially in countries and for products where no public low emission label exists.
A certified product can also apply for whatever covered label on the basis of the test report, as regards VOC emissions into indoor air. But the individual programs may have supplemental requirements, and they may require license fees.
Contact to Indoor Air Comfort certification
- Certification body:
- Testing lab:
Smedeskovvej 38, 8464 Galten, Denmark
Phone: +45 7022 4276