VOC Emissions into indoor air limit values (LCI, NIK, CLI, CREL, ...)
LCI, CLI, NIK, and CREL values are used by several emission rating schemes as limit values for evaluating emissions of Volatile Organic Compounds VOC into indoor air (VOC are called COV in French).
Here you can see a comparison of limit values for emissions into indoor air. (Last update: 18th March 2015).
The sources of information include:
- EU LCI values
- German LCI values
- Most recent DIBt regulation: Principles for the health assessment of construction products used in interiors (2010)
- Notified DIBt regulation (2009)
- AgBB: Health-related Evaluation Procedure for Volatile Organic Compounds Emissions (VOC and SVOC) from Building Products (2012)
AgBB 2015: With significant changes, see our
VOC Blog and our specific webpage. The list is
available only in German language, but an English version
should follow soon.
- Belgian regulation:
- French CLI values:
- AFSSET (now: ANSES), Risques sanitaires liés aux composés organiques volatils dans l'air intérieur (2009)
- CDPH Standard Method v1.1 ("Section 01350") with 1/2 Chronic Reference Exposure Levels (CRELs) as limit values (2010)
- Historical LCI values:
- EU research report ECA no 18 (EUR 17334) "Evaluation of VOC Emissions from Building Products - Solid Flooring Materials" (1997)
- German limit values not for emissions, but for Indoor Air Quality (for comparison purposes):
And: Californian CREL values, used for Section 01350, BIFMA, Floor Score, CRI GLP, Indoor Advantage Gold, CHPS, and more
Please note: These programs require 1/2 CREL shall not be exceeded for any substance, with the exception of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde.
There is an on-going initiative to harmonize LCI values throughout Europe. A publication on EU-wide harmonized LCI values, awaited since a long time, now is available. The planned Belgian regulation intends to incorporate that list into its requirements. You can download the publication from here. This information already is included in the above information.
Contact to VOC Testing Laboratories
Please see here contact information of Eurofins VOC testing
laboratories in Europe, USA and China: