Project on validation of VOC emission testing methods
VOC emissions (volatile organic compounds) are an important element of occupants protection in buildings. The plan of European Commission for handling this is to include documentation of VOC emissions in the declaration of performance for CE marking. Implementation of that plan requires a horizontal VOC emissions testing method, applicable to all involved products and creating an equal playing field for all construction products used indoors.
This horizontal testing method has been developed in CEN TC 351 WG 2. It was published as CEN Technical Specification CEN/TS 16516 in October 2013 after thorough validation, and Eurofins Product Testing A/S is ISO 17025 accredited and notified for such testing. See also a publication describing CEN/TS 16516, including a comparison with ISO 16000 and EN 717-1 testing (in English) - in Gefahrstoffe Reinhaltung der Luft 74 (2014) 3, 62-68, see www.gefahrstoffe.de. After additional validation, the standard was published as EN 16516 in 2017.
Eurofins Product Testing contributed to this validation:
- A robustness validation (showing how small changes of testing parameters will influence the test result) was finalized early 2012:
- In a first step existing data was collected and analyzed for concluding on robustness of the present draft testing standard. Here Eurofins was part of the consortium, leadership was taken by BAM, Germany.
- In a second step remaining information was collected by performing targeted testing experiments. Eurofins took the leadership of a consortium covering 9 leading European testing laboratories.
- The report on this validation was published on a special webpage of NEN.
- A repeatability validation (with testing the same material in duplicate of in triplicate within the respective testing laboratories) was performed with the data produced in the above study:
- The robustness validation data also showed that the repeatability of testing twice the same product within one laboratory was good, with deviation of duplicate or triplicate single results from their average well below 15% for many more than 50% of all reported test results.
- The report on all above validation exercises was published on a special webpage of NEN.
- A reproducibility validation (with testing the same material twice in different testing laboratories) also was performed and resulted in a decision of CEN TC 351 WG2 to start the process of transformation of TS 16516 into a regular EN standard.
- A study based on existing data from earlier round-robin tests was delivered to CEN early 2013 by a consortium under the leadership of BAM, Germany; Eurofins participated in that consortium.
- CEN TC 351 WG 2 decided on that basis that enough data is available to transform the Technical Specification CEN/TS 16516 into a full EN standard with some modifications. Publication of the final EN standard is expected until 2017.
Eurofins VOC related services
Eurofins offers documentation of compliance with the specifications on emissions of VOC and aldehydes by independent and ISO 17025 accredited testing, and if relevant also with external surveillance (inspections, re-testing), and certification, e.g. in combination with the Eurofins operated certification programme Indoor Air Comfort - certified products.
Eurofins operates both an accredited and notified test house and an approved ÜZ certification body. VOC emissions testing for any program or regulation can be easily combined with tests for other regulations or labels such as Belgian VOC regulation, French VOC regulations, German VOC regulations, EMICODE, German Blue Angel, Finnish M1 and US tests. Such combinations allow to save money compared with separate testing for each of these purposes. One example is the Eurofins Pan-European test package.
Certification and testing services for Ü mark, CE mark and the Eurofins certification program Indoor Air Comfort - certified products can be ordered in parallel for use on different market segments - there will be significant costs saving when compared to ordering these services separately.
Contact to surveillance and testing services
- Surveillance and Certification body:
(also DIBt approved surveillance and certification body)
- Testing lab:
(also DIBt approved testing body, and accredited as well as notified testing lab)
Smedeskovvej 38, 8464 Galten, Denmark
Phone: +45 7022 4276
Contact to VOC Testing Laboratories
Please see here contact information of Eurofins VOC testing laboratories in Europe, China and Japan: