BREEAM UK & International - emissions from products - former versions
More recent BREEAM version:
Here we summarize the requirements of old (but still used) BREEAM versions regarding emissions from products, that need to be fufilled if this property shall qualify for earning credits within a BREEAM certification of a building.
- Typically, the new requirements will apply if they are specified in the "Hea 02" criterion.
The old version applies when it is in the "Hea 09" criterion.
Some intermediate versions can be e.g. in the "Hea 03" criterion.
Indoor Air Quality specifications
Regarding indoor air quality, use of low emitting products inside the building will be helpful for achieving a point if the following specifications have been proved:
- Wooden products and any solid floorings:
- E1 formaldehyde class applies (which is based on EN 717-1 testing standard), and no regulated wood preservatives are used.
- Suspended ceiling tiles:
- E1 formaldehyde class applies (which is based on EN 717-1 testing standard), and no asbestos is used.
- Flooring adhesives:
- No carcinogens and no sensitizers as defined in an Annex of EN 13999-1 are emitted. This will require testing in a ventilated test chamber after 1 day as specified in EN 13999 parts 2, 3, and 4 (2007 version, which now is outdated), including determination of carcinogenic and sensitizing volatile compounds, volatile aldehydes, and volatile diisocyanates.
- BREEAM NL just accepts the EMICODE EC1PLUS as proof.
- Wall coverings:
- Low content of releasable formaldehyde and of vinyl chloride monomer, complying with standards EN 233, EN 234, EN 259, EN 266.
- Migration of heavy metals and other toxic substances comply with above mentioned standards.
- Adhesive for hanging flexible wall coverings
- No harmful substances, and preservatives used should be of minimum toxicity.
- Decorative paints and varnishes
- VOC content as specified for phase 2 of EU Decopaint Directive, and it shall be fungal and algal resistant.
Use of other European or International testing standards and evaluation schemes
Since late August 2015, BREEAM International and BREEAM UK recognize Indoor Air Comfort, EMICODE and more VOC rating schemes as proof of BREEAM compliance. Separate documentation for BREEAM is needed no longer if compliance with Indoor Air Comfort or any other one of the referenced rating schemes was show.
This will ease the identification of compliant materials for BREEAM certified construction projects, and it will support manufacturers in demonstrating BREEAM compliance of their products. For more details, please see our VOC Blog and a common press release.
Eurofins VOC related services
Eurofins offers documentation of compliance with the specifications on emissions of VOC and aldehydes by independent and ISO 17025 accredited testing, and if relevant also with external surveillance (inspections, re-testing), and certification, e.g. in combination with the Eurofins operated certification programme Indoor Air Comfort - certified products.
Eurofins operates both an accredited and notified test house and an approved ÜZ certification body. VOC emissions testing for any program or regulation can be easily combined with tests for other regulations or labels such as Belgian VOC regulation, French VOC regulations, German VOC regulations, EMICODE, German Blue Angel, Finnish M1 and US tests. Such combinations allow to save money compared with separate testing for each of these purposes. One example is the Eurofins Pan-European test package.
Certification and testing services for Ü mark, CE mark and the Eurofins certification program Indoor Air Comfort - certified products can be ordered in parallel for use on different market segments - there will be significant costs saving when compared to ordering these services separately.
Contact to surveillance and testing services
- Surveillance and Certification body:
(also DIBt approved surveillance and certification body)
- Testing lab:
(also DIBt approved testing body, and accredited as well as notified testing lab)
Smedeskovvej 38, 8464 Galten, Denmark
Phone: +45 7022 4276
Contact to VOC Testing Laboratories
Please see here contact information of Eurofins VOC testing laboratories in Europe, China and Japan: