Below list describes which programs are included or can be included in the "Indoor Air Comfort EU" testing program.
Harmonization has proceeded recently, but it is far from being complete. Therefore the list also highlights remaining technical differences that can limit the harmonized evaluation for certain products and programs, and what can be done about it.
Programs included are:
1. Always included
- Belgian VOC regulation
- French VOC regulation, and proposal of the appropriate VOC emissions class
- German VOC regulation
- For DIBt application, two separate test reports are required on top, one version as PDF and one digital report in a special format ("ADAM" report).
- DIBt wants to be involved in the selection of representative test samples for DIBt application.
- For parquet coatings, the "Indoor Air Comfort EU" test includes two options.
- First and generic option is to apply the maximum recommended application amount and the maximum recommended number of layers on a glass plate, but minimum 150 g/m², as specified in EN 16402, and as required in Belgium and in France.
- This test will not be accepted for German DIBt application, where it is mandatory to apply the coating on a special oak wood substrate to cover the German regulation. The interaction with the oak support results in a significantly different emissions behaviour, and both methodologies cannot be directly compared.
- If all regulations are targeted with the test, including Germany, then the German way of testing can be selected. That test can be seen as less-worst-case for the 3 days test results in all cases, and as worst-case for the 28 days test results in many cases. If the test results are very clearly below all limits then the German way of testing can be used also to show conformity with the Belgian and the French regulations.
- For parquet coatings, the test option needs to be selected explicitly when ordering a test.
- Indoor Air Comfort product certification
- Eurofins certification body wants to approve the selection of representative test samples for IAC certification.
- Additional requirements need to be fulfilled where appropriate, such as VOC content, or use of EMICODE label.
The combined test report includes an evaluation of the VOC emissions against the limits set in the above programs, if desired. The test report delivers information that can be used for an additional evaluation of the VOC emissions against the limits set in the following programs, but such evaluation needs to be ordered explicitly.
2. Optionally included
- Draft Lithuanian VOC regulation
- Formaldehyde testing is foreseen by use of EN 717-1, which is inappropriate for non-wooden products and different from the other national VOC regulations.
- The TS / EN 16516 that is applied for the Indoor Air Comfort EU test showed to deliver similar test results as EN 717-1; it is assumed that such test results will be accepted in Lithuania as well.
- A response from Lithuanian authorities to our request for clarification is outstanding.
- Draft Swedish VOC regulation
- For flooring adhesives, the "Indoor Air Comfort EU" test includes the maximum recommended application amount, to cover the German regulation. This may be a significantly higher sample amount than required for EMICODE only.
In few such cases it may happen that the results do not comply with the targeted EMICODE class, but the product could have complied if the original EMICODE test conditions would have been applied. In those cases, only an additional separate EMICODE test can decide.
- For parquet coatings, please see the discussion higher up on this page. The EMICODE way of testing parquet coatings is close to the harmonized European way of testing.
- The combined test is without the GUT odour test, but this can be ordered separately.
- Several product criteria of
- EU ecolabel
- Blue Angel
- Special issues with the Blue Angel RAL UZ 113, flooring adhesives:
- The "Indoor Air Comfort EU" test includes the max. recommended application amount, to cover the German regulation. This may be a much higher sample amount than required for Blue Angel RAL UZ 113 only.
- In few such cases it may happen that the results do not comply with Blue Angel RAL UZ 113, but the product could have complied if the original Blue Angel RAL UZ 113 test conditions would have been applied. In those cases, only an additional separate Blue Angel RAL UZ 113 test can decide.
- In the case of SMP adhesives, methanol needs to be included in the VOC test.
This has to be ordered on top of the "Indoor Air Comfort EU" test.
- Austrian ecolabel
- M1 in Finland
- The M1 test cannot be integrated into the Indoor Air Comfort EU test for small and very small surfaces, such as sealants. But this is possible for larger products.
- The combined test is without the M1 odour and M1 ammonia tests, but these can be ordered separately.
- Application for M1 label requires that all involved tests are perfomed with the same sample and are reported in the same M1 specific test report.
- The RTS organization behind the M1 label wants to be involved in the selection of representative test samples.
- The RTS organization behind the M1 label reserves the exclusive rights to declare conformity with the M1 specifications.
- The new M1 test method defined different testing conditions for several wet-applied products (adhesives, coatings, sealants). This makes it a challenge to include the Finnish M1 label in a combined test for these products. But we can handle that upon specific request.
- E1 formaldehyde class for wood-based products
- The assignment of the E1 class to a wooden product requires different testing methods.
- The TS / EN 16516 that is applied for the Indoor Air Comfort EU test showed to deliver similar test results based on the 28 days formaldehyde emissions.
- Therefore an appropriately low formaldehyde test result after 28 days can give an indication that the E1 class can apply. But it is no formal proof.
Not yet included are:
A "Classification System for VOC Emissions of Construction Products used in the Indoor Environment" is under development on European level. The EU Commission wants to establish this as a binding so-called delegated act. Then the EN product standards shall refer to that classification scheme to describe the emissions into indoor air in the Declaration of Performance for CE marking. And the national regulators shall use the same scheme of emissions classes and specify for construction products which levels/classes are accepted in their respective country and which ones are not.
Once established, the "Indoor Air Comfort EU" testing program will allow to assign these EU emissions classes.
Not included are:
- Any odour testing (GUT, M1) or ammonia testing (M1),
- Danish Indoor Air Climate label,
- US testing, such as CDPH or FloorScore.
The above tests should be ordered separately if needed. It is still cheaper to include these tests into the above described testing program than ordering everything separately.
Not included is as well:
- Any furniture testing
Eurofins VOC related services
Eurofins offers documentation of compliance with the specifications on emissions of VOC and aldehydes by independent and ISO 17025 accredited testing, and if relevant also with external surveillance (inspections, re-testing), and certification, e.g. in combination with the Eurofins operated certification programme Indoor Air Comfort - certified products.
Eurofins operates both an accredited and notified test house and an approved ÜZ certification body. VOC emissions testing for any program or regulation can be easily combined with tests for other regulations or labels such as Belgian VOC regulation, French VOC regulations, German VOC regulations, EMICODE, German Blue Angel, Finnish M1 and US tests. Such combinations allow to save money compared with separate testing for each of these purposes. One example is the Eurofins Pan-European test package.
Certification and testing services for Ü mark, CE mark and the Eurofins certification program Indoor Air Comfort - certified products can be ordered in parallel for use on different market segments - there will be significant costs saving when compared to ordering these services separately.
Contact to surveillance and testing services
- Surveillance and Certification body:
(also DIBt approved surveillance and certification body)
- Testing lab:
(also DIBt approved testing body, and accredited as well as notified testing lab)
Smedeskovvej 38, 8464 Galten, Denmark
Phone: +45 7022 4276
Contact to VOC Testing Laboratories
Please see here contact information of Eurofins VOC testing laboratories in Europe, China and Japan: