Specifications regarding emissions from textile floorings - ABG, TR-TB
The draft German regulation on low emitting construction products (ABG) which has been developed on the basis of a modified German model building regulation is intended to be released in October 2016 (see pages 231-244 of the Draft of an ordinance "Verwaltungsvorschrift Technische Baubestimmungen (VV TB)" (available in German only)). In the mean time an updated draft of the ABG regulation was notified to the EU for commenting with the notification number 2016/0376/D since July 2016 (in German language). There were no changes regarding VOC emissions compared to the second draft.
The ABG regulation specifies requirements regarding emissions from construction products into regularly occupied rooms, and limits of certain hazardous ingredients.
These requirements and their documentation are intended to be substantiated in product specific Technical Rules. A draft Technical Rule on textile floorings ("Technische Regel Textile Bodenbeläge", TR TB) was made available for comments in March 2016 as a first example. See pages 245-251 of the draft of an ordinance "Verwaltungsvorschrift Technische Baubestimmungen" (VV TB, available in German only). There were no changes regarding VOC emissions in the notified version, compared to the second draft.
Technical Rule "Textile Floorings"
The essentials of the specifications in the draft TR TB are:
- Definition of the scope of the Technical Rule.
- Definition that emissions of hazardous substances are determined and evaluated by an emission chamber test by a qualified "sachverständige Prüfstelle".
- The rules in the ABG regulation shall be applied.
- Criteria for grouping of similar products, to restrict the testing burden to representative samples.
- The product with the expected highest emissions is regarded representative - normally this is the heaviest or the thickest product, where the thickest product shall be selected in case of doubt.
- Sample collection, transport and storage of a sample for testing.
- A model sampling protocol is available in an annex.
Other regulations concern:
- Preparation of the test specimen.
- Test chamber conditions (loading factor, testing climate).
- Emissions testing after 3 and 28 or 3 and 7 days. A stop of the test after just 3 days no longer is accepted.
- Determination of PAH content in the case of bitumen backing.
Acceptance criteria are specified for a qualified "sachverständige Prüfstelle". Both ISO 17025 accreditation and notification for EN 16516 will be required - Eurofins Products Testing A/S qualifies for both criteria.
Eurofins VOC related services
Eurofins offers documentation of compliance with the specifications on emissions of VOC and aldehydes by independent and ISO 17025 accredited testing, and if relevant also with external surveillance (inspections, re-testing), and certification, e.g. in combination with the Eurofins operated certification programme Indoor Air Comfort - certified products.
Eurofins operates both an accredited and notified test house and an approved ÜZ certification body. VOC emissions testing for any program or regulation can be easily combined with tests for other regulations or labels such as Belgian VOC regulation, French VOC regulations, German VOC regulations, EMICODE, German Blue Angel, Finnish M1 and US tests. Such combinations allow to save money compared with separate testing for each of these purposes. One example is the Eurofins Pan-European test package.
Certification and testing services for Ü mark, CE mark and the Eurofins certification program Indoor Air Comfort - certified products can be ordered in parallel for use on different market segments - there will be significant costs saving when compared to ordering these services separately.
Contact to surveillance and testing services
- Surveillance and Certification body:
(also DIBt approved surveillance and certification body)
- Testing lab:
(also DIBt approved testing body, and accredited as well as notified testing lab)
Smedeskovvej 38, 8464 Galten, Denmark
Phone: +45 7022 4276
Contact to VOC Testing Laboratories
Please see here contact information of Eurofins VOC testing laboratories in Europe, China and Japan: