Belgian Regulations on VOC emissions from construction products
A Belgian regulation on VOC emissions from construction products was published on 18th August 2014, first only in Dutch and in French language. See below a summary in English.
The regulation is an interpretation of the European Construction Products Regulation regarding VOC emissions from construction products into indoor air. It is the third such national regulation after those in France and in Germany.
The regulation contains
- Maximum emission limits for VOCs, TVOC and TSVOC, aldehydes after 28 days testing duration (no test needed after 3 days),
- See a separate list containing the LCI limit values.
- Please note that there are NO limits for VOCs without LCI value, different from the German regulation.
- In Belgium, the VOCs without assigned limit value are regulated via the limit values of the total VOCs and total SVOCs.
The regulation applies to
- All products used as flooring, or as support, or for installation of floors.
- This includes coatings, adhesives and screeds. Tiles adhesives also are included.
Levelling compounds are not included.
- Exempted are products made of 100% natural stone, ceramics, glass and steel.
- See the Frequently Asked Questions in English.
The regulation is in force since 1st January 2015 with a sell-through period (non-conform products put on the market before 1st September 2014 can be sold until 1st January 2016).
There are no approval bureaucracy and no labeling requirements. Any manufacturer and distributor needs to have available a "product emissions file" substantiating conformity, based on earlier or actual emissions tests, in a format specified in detail in the regulation. This documentation shall be presented to the authorities upon request only. And there will be market controls.
Eurofins testing offer
Eurofins delivers testing for showing compliance with the Belgian regulation. If a test report is available
- for German ABG and DIBt regulation,
- for German ecolabels such as Blue Angel,
- or for European ecolabels such as EMICODE, GUT or Indoor Air Comfort,
then the data in that test report can be used without new testing, just with new interpretation. Please note that test reports for the French VOC classes do NOT include sufficient data for this purpose.
Eurofins VOC related services
Eurofins offers documentation of compliance with the specifications on emissions of VOC and aldehydes by independent and ISO 17025 accredited testing, and if relevant also with external surveillance (inspections, re-testing), and certification, e.g. in combination with the Eurofins operated certification programme Indoor Air Comfort - certified products.
Eurofins operates both an accredited and notified test house and an approved ÜZ certification body. VOC emissions testing for any program or regulation can be easily combined with tests for other regulations or labels such as Belgian VOC regulation, French VOC regulations, German VOC regulations, EMICODE, German Blue Angel, Finnish M1 and US tests. Such combinations allow to save money compared with separate testing for each of these purposes.
Certification and testing services for Ü mark, CE mark and the Eurofins certification program Indoor Air Comfort - certified products can be ordered in parallel for use on different market segments - there will be significant costs saving when compared to ordering these services separately.
Contact to surveillance and testing services
- Surveillance and Certification body:
(also DIBt approved surveillance and certification body)
- Testing lab:
(also DIBt approved testing body, and accredited as well as notified testing lab)
Smedeskovvej 38, 8464 Galten, Denmark
Phone: +45 7022 4276
Contact to VOC Testing Laboratories
Please see here contact information of Eurofins VOC testing laboratories in Europe, China and Japan: