Honey & Bumble Bee Field
Eurofins Agroscience Services offers a wide range of honey bee, solitary bee and bumble bee field studies following standard or special designs
All studies are planned and performed by an experienced team of scientists and technical personnel. The bee studies (Apis mellifera L. Bombus terrestris) are conducted according to current OEPP/EPPO, CEB and OECD guidelines under semi-field and field conditions in settings throughout Europe (e. g. Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Denmark and Greece) as well as in China, Aouth America and the USA.
Examples for special study designs are long-term studies with over-wintering, studies in the relevant crop (e. g. sunflower, citrus, melon, maize, nectarine, peach, apple, tomato, zucchini, cucumber) where the product is used and residue studies with bees.
Semi-field studies are also called tunnel tests. The crop area covered by each tunnel tent is at least 50 m² and there is one bee hive or nesting unit placed in each tunnel. In such studies, the bee exposure to a treated crop is checked under comparable conditions for the different treatment groups within one test. The crop used is either an attractive crop or the relevant crop. As a minimum requirement, bee flight, bee mortality and the condition of the colonies/nesting units is assessed.
- Standard studies according to OEPP/EPPO Guideline No. 170 FOTO 3
- Standard studies according to CEB draft Guideline No. 230
- Brood test according to OECD guidance document number 75
- Semi-field bumble bee studies
- Semi-field solitary bee studies
- Greenhouse studies with bumble bees
According to the recent OEPP/EPPO Guideline, an area of at least 1 ha is used for field studies. At each location, 4 to 6 commercial bee hives or nesting units are set-up for further assessments on bee mortality, flight intensity in the crop, behaviour of the bees in front of the hives and in the crop area. Furthermore the condition of the colonies as well as the brood development.
- Standard studies according to OEPP/EPPO Guideline No. 170
- Brood feeding test in accordance with the OEPP/EPPO Bulletin No. 22 (1992 a+b) and with partly integration of the OECD guidance document number 75
- Bumble bee field studies
- Solitary bee field studies
- Dust application (semi-field and field) according to the OEPP/EPPO Guideline No. 170
- Honey bee studies from seeding to flowering (dust, guttation, flowering), including long-term examination on the bee coloni
- Residue studies with different crops (e.g. oilseed rape, maize, melon, apple, peach, citrus) under semi-field and field conditions. Samples from a beehive (e.g. nectar, honey, pollen and wax) as well as forager bees collected in front of the hives and samples from the crop can be taken (nectar and pollen from single flowers)
- Bumble bee (Bombus terrestris) studies can be carried out under greenhouse conditions in Spain or Italy
- Method development for honey bee, solitary bee, and bumble bee studies
- Photographic assessments of honey bee brood and solitary bee brood
For more information on our honey, solitary and bumble bee studies, please download the following PDF's:
- Honey and bumble bee semi-field and field
- Honey and bumble bee semi-field tests
- Honey bee field test
- Pollinator residue studies
- Global bee studies
- Wild solitary bee studies